Monday, January 14, 2008

THE NOODLE LOG - Top 5 Reasons to join Toastmasters.

View James Nudelman's profile on LinkedIn

The Noodle's Top 5 Reasons to Join Toastmasters:

For those of you who are not familiar, Toastmasters is an international organization designed to help people in all professions become better public speakers. So, WIIFM (My favorite radio station, What's In It for Me/You)?

1. You will become a better public speaker through Toastmasters. I public speak for a living and have improved dramatically since I joined three months ago.

2. A considerable amount of productive development is accomplished in a short period of time (about 1 hour). Plus, several people get the opportunity to speak. There is a Toastmaster, three prepared speakers, three people who evaluate the prepared speakers, a table topics (impromptu/off the cuff speaking) master who devises challenging topics to speak about, up to 10 impromptu speeches, a table topics evaluator (who evaluates all the impromptu speeches), and a general evaluator (someone who evaluates the evaluator). Practice, preparation, delivery, and surprise, all in 1 hr.

3. Learn about different topics of interest. I have learned methods for planting spring bulbs, goal setting, how to jump out of an airplane, critical thinking skills...the list goes on. How many hour long meetings at the office have accomplished that?

4. Toastmasters is a great place to meet new friends and network. Professionals in many industries and with varied backgrounds are in Toastmasters. You never know who your fellow Toastmasters might introduce you to...it might be your next client.

5. The locations are typically very convenient. From most metropolitan locations, you could probably find one no more than ten minutes from your house or place of business. Go to www.toastmasters.org to find a location closest to you.

With that, the Noodle throws another log onto the fire.

8 comments:

Sean Harry said...

Hi Jim. Although I am already a professional speaker with 20 years of experience, I joined Toastmasters to "keep up my chops." I also find it very useful for trying out some new material in a welcome atmosphere. One of the best things about Toastmasters is that I get to try out a piece of a speech I'm working on and I get immediate and comprehensive feedback to help make my speeches better.

Sean Harry
www.orcms.com/blog

Anonymous said...

Jim,

After reading your post, I am determined to join the Toastmasters. My question is: Once I join Toastmasters, am I limited to a single group? In other words, may I visit and particpate in various groups around the country as I travel?

Thanks Noodle, and keep up the good work on the blog!

Fred Quick

Anonymous said...

Hey Jim,

I am a professional trainer with 12 years experience and I joined Toastmasters about a year ago. One of the many qualities I appreciate most about Toastmasters is the comfortable learning environment. We are all there to learn, grow and improve our leadership and communication skills.

I encourage anyone who wants to improve their speaking skills to join a local Toastmaster group.

Teresa MacIsaac

Rodger Cook said...

Hello Jim,

I joined Toastmasters earlier last year and have found it to be one of the most important decisions I have made as an adult. Building my speaking skills, and learning to be a better listener has been most beneficial.

I suggest that new comers visit several clubs before joining. You can belong to more than one club. Lastly, all clubs welcome visitors.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim. Great blog. You provide some very insightful and practical advice that anyone can use. I especially enjoyed your last post about making yourself "too available"...so true. Desperation is a stinky colgne indeed.

Anonymous said...

Jim, I know that Toastmasters has had considerable impact in people's lives, made them better public speakers, and enhanced their quality of life. Thank you for mentioning this Jim.

Cleon Cox III said...

Toastmasters is certainly more than public speaking, as you mention. The biggest single skill, that folks find grows,is "listening" That is a key element in being successful in many segments of our lives, from work to family.
Cleon Cox III

Unknown said...

Jim,

Everything you said about Toastmasters is true! Toastmasters has definitely improved my confidence level, not just in public speaking, but in other arenas as well.

My favorite activity in Toastmasters is "Table Topics." For the uninitiated, Table Topics is the improv segment of the meeting. The speaker is given a word, phrase, or question, and must expound upon it. It is a lot of fun for the audience and the participant. Table Topics has helped me tremendously in learning to both think and speak on the spot. Table Topics is great for developing your creativity and problem-solving skills. It's almost like being a little kid again and making up stories!