Friday, January 11, 2008

THE NOODLE LOG - PEOPLE WANT TO WORK WITH SUCCESSFUL SALES PROFESSIONALS

View James Nudelman's profile on LinkedIn


Too often, I see sales professionals approach a client in away which reflects a lack of success. In most cases, they do not even realize they are creating this perception. Common examples are reflected below:


1. Sales Professionals making themselves too available. Example: "I can meet you anytime." This is telling your potential client that you are desperate and "Desperation is the world's worst cologne." Instead say, "I tend to have regular days that I visit most of my clients. That way, I can demonstrate my consistency. I have some space on Wednesday's in the afternoon, does that work?" If the answer is no, What would work better? I will have to see if I can move some things around. This statement reflects professionalism because it shows your client that you are organized. It also shows them that other clients are already on board working with you.


2. This is pretty obvious and everyone knows this...but I don't understand why more account executives don't execute it. "They talk way too much." Most people, particularly those in business, are not auditory learners and have little patience for a long sales pitch. Make your focus to learn about your customer. At least 80% of your conversation should be listening. Who knows, your customer might give you a clue as to their most important need and what it will take to move forward.


3. They don't keep good records about what was talked about. Therefore, because they visit so many customers, they tend to be starting over on every conversation. Doing this keeps account executives further away from the sale. Instead, keep a file folder for each client which reflects valuable information that you have talked about. It is a great idea to take notes. It shows your potential client that what they say is important. Then, refer back to it in their next conversation.


With that, we throw another log onto the fire.


Remember to please e-mail me with suggestions of topics that you would like address on the Noodle Log. Thank you for reading.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim, it is refreshing to read your blogs that reflect a customer focused perspective. For me, reading them reinforces and reminds me to stay on track with effective techniques born from years of successful usage. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

I would like to see tips on getting to the decision maker, past the gatekeeper and the recommender for an appointment. Also how to leave an effective voice mail to get a call back.

Anonymous said...

Being a professional sales person and an almost complusive talker,the reminder to listen is excellent! I also always want to do everything for a client, and will frequently make myself sound too available. I like your approach better. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Jim,

I got you email. I like you blog very much. I think you are right on target with the approach you are taking. Give me a call when ever you would like to get together and discuss your blog in more detail!

I hope all is well.

Anonymous said...

Jim, you hit the nail on the head here. When people act too available, it tells me that they don't have enough going on. Great post. Also, Jim, if you could address something about preparing for a visit with a potential client, that would be helpful.

Anonymous said...

Jim, your tip regarding regular sales calls versus being available any time is right on target. This speaks to the importance of a sales person showing confidence, being professional and demonstrating to the customer that each persons time is important.

Anonymous said...

Jim,

Most of us in sales find silence to be uncomfortable. Successful sales professionals know that silence is worth money. The best pros ask a question and then wait patiently for the prospect to gather their thoughts and answer.