Friday, January 18, 2008

THE NOODLE LOG - Asking for Referrals is Easy

View James Nudelman's profile on LinkedIn

Top producing business-to-consumer sales professionals always ask for referrals. Eveyrone knows this, but it rarely occurs. This is simple because the customer is already happy (in most cases).

Sales Professional: "John, could you please help me with a favor?"

Customer: "Sure."

Sales Professional: "I have enjoyed our relationship. You have played a nice role in the success of my business and I am trying to grow it to the next level. Would you please introduce me to three people who you know and trust and who have common sense, that I can service exactly how I have serviced you?"

This process has three elements:
1. You asked for a favor. Everyone wants to help. Especially if you have truly helped the customer.

2. You told them that your business is already successful and thanked them for playing a role in that.

3. You asked for a specific number of people. Psychologically, it is easier for people to complete a task if the end result is specific.

With that, we throw another log onto the fire.

3 comments:

Gary Wiram said...

What do you think about, also, embedding the thought of "what's in it for me (WIIFM)"? Of course, it shouldn't be manipulative but don't you think folks tend to be more responsive if they clearly understand the benefit for themselves?

jnudelman said...

Gary,

I completely agree with you about What's In It For Me (WIIFM). Most customers will be more responsive if they see the benefit for themselves.

An interaction asking for referrals has a different dynamic.

1. The sales professional already has a relationship with the customer. Therefore, the WIIFM has already happened. The sales professional delivered the WIIFM by providing outstanding service in the past. Less selling is absolutely more selling here.

2. It is human nature to want to help people. The sales professional is actually giving their customer the WIIFM by giving them the opportunity to help their friends or their family. The customer who is referring already knows that the product or service being provided will help their friends or family because they have already had the positive experience.

3. It is okay to send them a gift certificate for a dinner for themselves and a friend to their favorite restaurant. Guess what they are going to talk about at dinner...The wonderful service you provided. That gives them some WIIFM.

I hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

Noodle, I forgot how easy this really is. I don't do this enough. I am a financial advisor, on the phone with my clients 24/7. It merely takes one question...what is the worst thing that can happen?